Saturday, May 16, 2015

Islamic Gardens - The Expression of Garden and Style with which I Most Strongly Resonate from this Semester


Julián Huertas
16 May 2015
Professor Musgrave
Garden Art in European History

Blog Post Ten:
Which expression of garden art / garden style that we have studied this semester resonated most strongly with you personally?  Explain why.


            The expression of garden art and style that we studied this semester that I most strongly resonated with was that of Islamic gardens. In this final blog post, I will discuss and analyze the features, elements, and style of these types of gardens and how they relate to my academic, spiritual, and aesthetic interests.
            As a studio art and art history major at school, I have taken courses focusing on Islamic art. Never before, however, have I specifically studied Islamic gardens. In class, we discussed how lack of anthropomorphic forms, arabesque, geometry, and calligraphy elements of Islamic art and how these components are evident in Islamic gardens.  I knew before studying Islamic gardens here at DIS that the text and layout of the Qur’an is a form of art within itself, which is demonstrated in the text of the Blue Qur’an from Tunisia in Kufic calligraphy shown at the MET Museum.  As we analyzed how the text of the Qur’an sets a blueprint for Islamic gardens, this expanded my interest in Islamic art to the Islamic garden as an art form. For this reason, I resonated strongly with Islamic gardens because it increased my already current interest in Islamic art.
            Although I am an individual who is not religious, I resonate strongly with the garden in regard to its spiritual and religious expression. Unlike gardens of other cultures, the Islamic garden is supposed to represent an earthly paradise. There are over 120 references in the Qur’an of jannat al-firdaws, which translates to “gardens of paradise.”  Thus, the Islamic garden is supposed to be a physical manifestation of the heavenly afterlife that a faithful Muslim enters after death. Even though I am not religious, I can identify with the importance of this spirituality. When I enter quiet, secluded exterior or interior spaces, I always to take the time to sit down and reflect.  The Islamic garden offers a Muslim a space to find a spiritual connection with him/herself and his/her own faith.  In a similar manner, I seek a spiritual connection with myself and the nature of the quiet, secluded space allows for this reflection to occur.
            Lastly, I resonate with Islamic gardens simply due to their beautiful aesthetic appeal. There are many water features such as fountains, pools, and water rills and channels. The chahar bagh creates a quadripartite design and square garden beds with plants and flowers. There are generally fruit trees, evergreens, and/or shrubs in these gardens as well. Thus, the gardens are pretty to look at it and to imagine myself walking around in. This is not to say there is not aesthetic beauty in other gardens, but I take more aesthetic interest in these types of ornate, geometrical features rather than the rolling landscapes of the English Landscape garden or the open and lack of ornate modernist gardens.  It is for these reasons that I most strongly resonate with Islamic gardens from this semester.

Here is a link for the MET Museum's Blue Qur'an. It is produced on parchment, which is made from animal's skin, and is written in gold and silver ink to demonstrate the beauty in the text and layout of the Qur'an.

The text of the Blue Qur'an (late 9th- to early 10th-century) from Tunisia in Kufic calligraphy demonstrates how the text and layout of the Qur'an can be a form of art within itself.
The nature of the quiet, secluded space in this Islamic garden in the Palace of Generalife allows for reflection on the self and Islamic faith to occur.

This is an example of a modern garden in the UK. It is beautiful in its own right with its open space and precise lines, but it is quite different than Islamic gardens. I personally find the ornate water and plant features of Islamic gardens to have more aesthetic beauty than this type of modern garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment